SECOND DAY IN TOUFEN

I was up early, as usual. Unless I am extremely tired, no matter what part of the world I am in, I always wake up at 4:00 AM. Sometimes, like today, even earlier at 3:30. A full day ahead.

I want to visit Lukang, a city about an hour drive South, but we may go either today or tomorrow.  Steve's husband Andrew, who we haven't met yet and just returned from Japan last night, has never been there and wanted to go too. So, we'll wait and decide whether to go today or tomorrow.

While waiting for Maya to go down to eat breakfast, I can wait she needs to rest, I've been watching a Buddhist answer to our own tele-evangelists. Big difference though. The monks speaking, when they do, speak in a calmed, conversational style, in big contrast to the loud, hellfire screaming of those evangelists. Also the Buddhist monks do not appear to be asking for contributions- so I don't know where to send my money. Finally, most importantly, is that their chanting is very calm and peaceful. But, where do I send the money???

Went to breakfast with Maya rather late.  We arrived at the restaurant around quarter to ten, with very little time to spare since it closes at 10!

Andrew had graciuosly volunteered to drive us around to some sights today. This is very convenient since there are not many "attractions" in the town of Toufen itself. Most interesting areas require transportation via car or taxi. When he came to the hotel to pickus up he said we'd go first to have tea by the mountains. This sounded delightful, and I am writing about it inmy next post.

Comments

Popular Posts